Blueberry Lavender Swirled Coffee Cake
Author: Chef Perry Harmon of 7&4 News' Peninsula Kitchen
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (Organic preferred-unbleached)
- ½ cup sugar (Organic Sucanat instead of sugar)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (Organic)
- ½ teaspoon salt (Organic)
- 1 tablespoon micro-planed lemon zest (Organic)
- ⅓ cup butter (5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) (Organic and/or local)
- 1 egg, beaten (organic and /or local)
- ¾ cup milk (Shetlers)
- 1 cup Organic Blueberry Lavender Preserves
- Topping: ⅔ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed or Sucanat (Organic)
- Topping: 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (Organic)
- Topping: 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (Organic)
- Topping: ½ cup chopped walnuts, pecans or pistachios (Organic)
- Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or food processor to make a fine crumbly mixture.
- Add egg, lemon zest and milk; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon the batter into a generously buttered 9-inch square pan and spoon preserves over the batter.
- Next you then swirl the preserves through the batter with a knife to incorporate. Mix topping ingredients with fork, fingers, or food processor until crumbly and sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes, until done.
- Cut into squares and serve while still warm.
Recipe by Food For Thought® at http://www.foodforthought.net/recipes/blueberry-lavender-swirled-coffee-cake/